Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Is our economy a giant ponzi scheme?

I am a 22 year old college student and to me our entire economy seems like one giant ponzi scheme. I know I am young and have much to learn which is why I am bringing this on here in hopes of input from much more experienced people in the field. But to me it just seems that my parents generation and this "american dream" of everyone buying a house since we have credit now was based off of money that never existed and at the expense of mine and future generations. I am currently taking a finance class and I do not agree with the class at all really. To me, these "future values" do not exist in the real world, only on paper, which is a major reason, in my opinion, for much of economic problems. You cannot possible calculate a future value many years in advance and be accurate. On paper the equations make sense, but in reality you cannot account for how the actions of people will impact the economy which is what the entire economy is made of, people. This to me, is why many people lost social security. I just feel like there are MAJOR problems with our economy being a ponzi scheme and also the economy being dependent on oil, but at the same time I feel I may be delusional because if this were entirely true wouldn't there be much more commotion about it? Or is no one doing anything about it? Like I said I am young and have much to learn which is why I would appreciate input from someone who is much more experienced in this field and matter. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment